Re-entry is hard
Aug. 29th, 2020 04:20 pmChris, Nate and I went for a two-night backpacking trip (north of here in Vermont). It was lovely - we were at a primitive campsite on a lake, there were loons, we had a campfire both nights, we did a day hike to a waterfall and swam (very briefly) in the pretty but very cold pool at the bottom of the waterfall. I had no cell service, and by the morning of day 3, (this morning) my iPhone and Apple Watch had both run out of charge, so I didn’t even know what time it was. Okay, we got damp when it rained, we were totally grubby by the end, and my hips are Not Happy with this whole sleeping on the ground thing, but it was such a blissful break.
And now we’re back, and I’m so angry with the world that I feel like I’m choking on it. First it was the sight of several large and prominent Trump signs in people’s yards, then it was the correspondence from Nate’s school (they’re doing the best they can, but it still sucks and is uncertain, and it didn’t have to be this bad if as a country we hadn’t so thoroughly screwed up our Covid response, and our kids are paying for it). And I had to deal with money things, which never put me in a great mood. How soon can I run away to the backcountry again?
And now we’re back, and I’m so angry with the world that I feel like I’m choking on it. First it was the sight of several large and prominent Trump signs in people’s yards, then it was the correspondence from Nate’s school (they’re doing the best they can, but it still sucks and is uncertain, and it didn’t have to be this bad if as a country we hadn’t so thoroughly screwed up our Covid response, and our kids are paying for it). And I had to deal with money things, which never put me in a great mood. How soon can I run away to the backcountry again?
no subject
Date: 2020-08-29 11:08 pm (UTC)Thinking of y'all.