Holding pattern
May. 25th, 2020 01:34 pmSpring has finally really happened, thank goodness. I bought us a screen tent to put in our yard so that we can hang around outside without being devoured by the black flies, and it’s a serious upgrade to life. It gives us another sound-separated space, which is in high demand in our open-plan house. I spent some time outside yesterday reading while Nate was inside playing one of his games, and I blessedly didn’t have to listen to all the beeps and boops and commentary.
And the spring whether means lots of projects outside, which keep me occupied and help me feel like I’m accomplishing concrete things. We’re making progress on the workshop, and today is the day for planting out a lot of the garden (since it’s supposed to be in the eighties(!!!) tomorrow).
Two more weeks of school for Nate, and neither of them are full weeks (four days this week, three next week, and then we’re done). I have limited ambitions for the remaining time - finish up a research project that we started, do daily reading, maybe some logic puzzles (since he seems to actually enjoy those).
We’re thinking of sending Nate to see his grandparents in Connecticut for a week - doing a full two weeks of serious self-isolation both before and after. The self-isolation is a big commitment (no grocery store trips, no feed store trips) and takes some planning, but it would do Nate a world of good to spend some time at the ocean, and it would do us a world of good to have a break from 24-7 childcare. We need to have a serious talk with the grandparents about our definition of social distancing, though. We worry that they’ve been more casual than we have.
I’m also hoping to go backpacking with Nate later in the summer. Most car campgrounds are still closed, but backcountry camping is pretty low risk, especially if we stay away from popular trails. The interaction of backcountry camping with the various restrictions are somewhat confusing - when the time gets closer, I’ll just have to call the ranger office to talk to a human rather than trying to figure it out from various cryptic website messages.
And the spring whether means lots of projects outside, which keep me occupied and help me feel like I’m accomplishing concrete things. We’re making progress on the workshop, and today is the day for planting out a lot of the garden (since it’s supposed to be in the eighties(!!!) tomorrow).
Two more weeks of school for Nate, and neither of them are full weeks (four days this week, three next week, and then we’re done). I have limited ambitions for the remaining time - finish up a research project that we started, do daily reading, maybe some logic puzzles (since he seems to actually enjoy those).
We’re thinking of sending Nate to see his grandparents in Connecticut for a week - doing a full two weeks of serious self-isolation both before and after. The self-isolation is a big commitment (no grocery store trips, no feed store trips) and takes some planning, but it would do Nate a world of good to spend some time at the ocean, and it would do us a world of good to have a break from 24-7 childcare. We need to have a serious talk with the grandparents about our definition of social distancing, though. We worry that they’ve been more casual than we have.
I’m also hoping to go backpacking with Nate later in the summer. Most car campgrounds are still closed, but backcountry camping is pretty low risk, especially if we stay away from popular trails. The interaction of backcountry camping with the various restrictions are somewhat confusing - when the time gets closer, I’ll just have to call the ranger office to talk to a human rather than trying to figure it out from various cryptic website messages.
no subject
Date: 2020-05-26 02:15 pm (UTC)